Pumpkin Pie is probably the best thing to do with the pumpkin discarded from making a Jack O’ Lantern. The taste of a pumpkin pie made from fresh pumkin cannot compare to one made from canned pumpkin. Here’s the classic Pumpkin Pie recipe:
3 cups pastry flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
pinch of salt
1/2 cup iced water
Mix flour, butter and salt, until mixture is in crumbs. Toss with iced water. Do not overmix. This is enough for a double crust pie or two single-crust pies.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup rice milk
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1. Stir sugars, flour, salt and spice together.
2. Add vanilla, pumpkin and egg yolks. Stir until smooth.
3. Heat the rice milk and evaporated milk until the first bubble, and
stir into pumpkin mixture.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
5. Pour into pie crust.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
7. Turn oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes longer.