I love my Pistachio Ice Cream! It is a simple recipe, and does away with the green food coloring that you will find in store-bought pistachio ice cream. The pistachios chop up into a fun confetti of green, yellow and pink to make the ice cream look sprinkled with pastel colored nuts.
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chopped pistachios
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparing the pistachios is easy if you have a nut chopper. I recruited my 5-year-old in shelling the pistachios and we both had a fun time grinding the nuts into tiny pieces.
Follow manufacturer’s instructions on how to prepare your ice cream maker.
1. Heat whole milk in a medium saucepan until it bubbles around the edges.
2. Whisk sugar into the heated milk.
3. Transfer to a medium bowl and let it cool completely.
4. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
5. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for at least 30 minutes or until thickened into a soft-serve consistency.
6. Add chopped pistachios while ice cream is churning.
7. Freeze for at least 2 hours if a firmer consistency is desired.