Chocolate is my guilty pleasure. I always have to think twice about buying it, and when I do it’s always with a deep breath first before I dive in. So when I made this Chocolate Ice Cream, I put twice as much chocolate as I originally intended. If I am going to feel guilty about something, I may as well make the most of it.
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 package (16 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 tsp vanilla extract
Follow manufacturer’s instructions on how to prepare your ice cream maker.
1. Heat whole milk in a medium saucepan until it bubbles around the edges.
2. Whisk sugar into the heated milk.
3. Add 1 cup (8 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips and whisk until melted into the milk.
4. Transfer to a medium bowl and let it cool completely.
5. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
6. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for at least 30 minutes or until thickened into a soft-serve consistency.
7. While churning, melt remaining 1 cup (8 oz) semi-sweet chocolate in a small sauce pan. Pour the melted chocolate into ice cream as is churns. The melted chocolate will immediately harden upon contact with the ice cream. You will have slivers of crunchy chocolate in your ice cream.
7. Freeze for at least 2 hours if a firmer consistency is desired.